Benefits of Joining the Scheme
The Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) allows you to build pension provision while you are working and enjoy a pension once you retire. What’s more, the LGPS is provided by your employer who will pay a large part of the cost of providing the excellent range of benefits to you, so it’s an extremely valuable part of your employment package.
The excellent range of benefits on offer to members who join the LGPS includes:
- A guaranteed indexed-linked pension payable for life
- Option to convert pension for tax-free cash on retirement
- Death in service cover of three times' final pay
- Survivor pensions for spouses, civil partners and cohabiting partners payable for their lifetime
- Children’s pensions payable up to an age of 18 or 23 if they continue in full-time education or vocational training
- Ill-health retirement at any age
For further information on being a member of the Local Government Pension Scheme follow the links below.
How much does it cost to join?
Examples of how your standard benefits are calculated