You may be able to transfer pension rights into the LGPS from:
- a previous LGPS fund
- a previous employer's pension scheme
- a self employed pension plan
- a pension 'buy-out' policy
- a personal pension plan
- a stakeholder pension scheme
- an Additional Voluntary Contribution (AVC) arrangement
In some cases, pension benefits from an overseas pension scheme can be transferred into the LGPS.
It is not possible to transfer a pension credit into the LGPS. A pension credit is a share of an ex-spouse's, or ex-civil partner's, pension benefit that can be awarded by a Court under a Pensions Sharing Order following a divorce or the dissolution or a civil partnership.
Transferring your pension rights is not always an easy decision to make, and you may wish to seek the help of an independent financial adviser.
Please click the links below for more information: